Vertical 'Fish in a Barrel' Aquaponics Systems
Now you too can eat healthy and lower food bills. Our ‘Fish in a Barrel’ Aquaponic Systems are designed to grow safe pesticide free food and be a pleasure to look at and show off to all your friends and neighbors. When the fish are big enough, you can get your fishing rod and catch a fish from your barrel. Eat the fish you’ve grown. And best yet, the system's expandable.
RE-PURPOSED: The fish tank barrel is made from an oak wine barrel complete with its hoop, rack and wine stains. It’s a nice career change for the barrel and adds a special touch for those who are sensitive to ecology and recycling.
UNIQUE: The Puncheon (~500L) oak wine barrel makes a beautiful fish tank. With a half 59 gallon wine barrel as the primary grow bed and 2 towers (places for 11 x 2” net pots each). The whole system is rustic by design. This system can use as little as 10% of the water compared to conventional dirt gardening and has less issues with garden pest. After deciding and building the system that meets your needs, we finish with a medium walnut stain Danish oil. We find that each barrel takes the stain and oil in its own way along with their markings being slightly different hence no two barrels will be the same.
- Raise 12 pounds of fish at a time either for food or use ornamental species like goldfish or tropical fish(with the heater installed) in the ~120 gallon re-purposed wine barrel with a viewing window.
- ~5.3 square feet of hydroton clay pebbles (included) media grow bed, great for growing organic fruits and vegetables without the use of any pesticides which could injure or kill the fish. This grow bed is also your bilogical filter and part of your mechanical filtration process.
- The grow bed features an autosyphon that can be easily converted to continuous flow.
- 2 Aeroponic towers feed the media grow bed, each has spaces for 11 plants.
HAND CRAFTED: It is hand crafted by us with love and quality in mind here in California, USA. Every product is custom made to order. Please allow us up to 4-5 weeks after payment to create your system.
Vertical System Features:
- ~120 gallons of water
- Grow your own organic fruits, vegetables and/or herbs(no pesticides)
- Raise edible fish without antibiotics or heavy metals
- Viewing window in a real re-purposed 500-Liter wine barrel
- Expandable to add micro-greens or towers
- 11 square feet of grow space in the vertical system
- half barrel clay pebble grow bed
- 2 aeroponic style towers
- Uses as little as 10% of the water required with traditional gardening
- Passive aeration system
- 300 watt aquarium heater
- Small submersible filter
- Interior LED pond lights
- System uses 1 primary submersible pump
- Oak exterior
INCLUDED: Our stand size is a 120 gallon aquaponics system. It includes:
- basic water quality test kit
- 4 packets of seeds
- fish net
- basic startup chemicals
- freeze-dried bacteria starter
- 1 year limited free tech support
NOT INCLUDED: Fish, fish food, hydroponic grow lights, plants
We have options for expanding the system with extra towers or to add micro greens. We will also work with you to customize your system to better fit your needs if desired. Please ask us about pricing on expansions and our customizing options if this is of interest to you
CUSTOMIZE: Please call or email us to further customize your system.
All of our wine barrels are made from French or American oak recycled from the wineries. Each barrel will be unique in coloring, condition and size due to variations in production of wine barrels and wine. No two are alike. Even when we stain/oil them, no two staves turn out identical. These have been lightly sanded leaving the barrel marks and wine stains, which make them so special. Whenever we work on these barrels, we can’t help thinking that every barrel has a story to tell!
- Overall footprint required is 40” x 44”
We custom hand craft every product to order. Please allow us ample time to make a good quality product. Call or email us to discuss your needs prior to purchasing.
This product ships via Freight. Depending on system size, it may ship in multiple boxes or pallets. Call for freight quote prior to placing an order.
Handcrafted by us in California, USA!