Basic Vertical 'Fish in a Barrel' Aquaponics Systems
Now you too can eat healthy and lower food bills. Our ‘Fish in a Barrel’ Aquaponic Systems are designed to grow safe pesticide free food and be a pleasure to look at and show off to all your friends and neighbors. When the fish are big enough, you can get your fishing rod and catch a fish from your barrel. Eat the fish you’ve grown. And best yet, the system's expandable. If you only have a small amount of space, this system may be for you as it has a small footprint.
RE-PURPOSED: The fish tank barrel is made from an oak wine barrel complete with its hoop, rack and wine stains. It’s a nice career change for the barrel and adds a special touch for those who are sensitive to ecology and recycling.
UNIQUE: The 59 gallon oak wine barrel makes a beautiful fish tank. We cut 1 window in the barrel for viewing the fish. Extra windows (as shown in our picture) are an option at an additional cost. With a half ~30 gallon wine barrel as the primary grow bed. The whole system is rustic by design. This system can use as little as 10% of the water compared to conventional dirt gardening and has less issues with garden pest. After deciding and building the system that meets your needs, we finish with a medium walnut stain Danish oil. We find that each barrel takes the stain and oil in its own way along with their markings being slightly different hence no two barrels will be the same.
- Raise up to 6 pounds of fish at a time either for food or use ornamental species like goldfish or tropical fish(with the heater installed) in the 59 gallon re-purposed wine barrel with a viewing window.
- ~3 square feet of hydroton clay pebbles (included) media grow bed, great for growing organic fruits and vegetables without the use of any pesticides which could injure or kill the fish. This grow bed is also your bilogical filter and part of your mechanical filtration process.
- The grow bed features a continuous flow or autosyphon system.
HANDCRAFTED: It is handcrafted by us with love and quality in mind here in California, USA. Every product is custom made to order. Please allow us up to 4-5 weeks after payment to create your system.
Basic Vertical System Features:
- 60-70 gallons of water
- Grow your own organic fruits, vegetables and/or herbs(no pesticides)
- Raise edible fish without antibiotics or heavy metals
- Viewing window in a real re-purposed 59 gallon wine barrel
- Expandable to add micro-greens or towers
- ~3 square feet of grow space
- half barrel clay pebble grow bed
- Uses as little as 10% of the water required with traditional gardening
- Passive aeration system
- 300 watt aquarium heater
- Interior LED pond lights
- System uses 1 primary submersible pump
- Oak or redwood exterior
INCLUDED: Our standard size is a 59 gallon aquaponics system. It includes:
- basic water quality test kit
- 4 packets of seeds
- fish net
- freeze-dried bacteria starter
- 1 year limited free tech support
NOT INCLUDED: Fish, fish food, hydroponic grow lights, plants
We have options for expanding the system with extra towers or to add micro greens for an additional cost. the fish barrel comes with one window for viewing. We can also offer more windows as long as we don't compromise the integrity of the barrel for an additional cost. We will work with you to customize your system to better fit your needs if desired. Please ask us about pricing on expansions and our customizing options if this is of interest to you or view add-on products.
CUSTOMIZE: Please call or email us to further customize your system.
Please note that although the same care and quality is put into all of our products, there will be natural variation due to the wood selection (either French or American white oak), wood figure, winery or cooperage markings, wine stains from the inside of the barrel, and other factors. No two pieces will be identical and each has its own story to tell!
- Overall footprint required is 27” x 31.5"
At Evans Family Barrels, we custom hand craft every product to order. Please allow us ample time to make a good quality product. Call or email us to discuss your needs prior to purchasing.
This product ships via Freight. Depending on system size, it may ship in multiple boxes or pallets. Call for freight quote prior to placing an order.
Handcrafted by us in California, USA!