Basic Vertical 'Fish in a Barrel' Aquaponics Systems
Local Pickup Only. We Do Not Ship This Item.
Display Model - 1 only
Now you too can eat healthy and lower food bills. Our ‘Fish in a Barrel’ Aquaponic Systems are designed to grow safe pesticide free food and be a pleasure to look at and show off to all your friends and neighbors. When the fish are big enough, you can get your fishing rod and catch a fish from your barrel. Eat the fish you’ve grown. If you only have a small amount of space, this system may be for you as it has a small footprint.
RE-PURPOSED: The fish tank barrel is made from an oak wine barrel complete with its hoop, rack and wine stains. It’s a nice career change for the barrel and adds a special touch for those who are sensitive to ecology and recycling.
UNIQUE: The 59 gallon oak wine barrel makes a beautiful fish tank. We cut 1 window in the barrel for viewing the fish. With a half ~30 gallon wine barrel as the primary grow bed. The whole system is rustic by design. This system can use as little as 10% of the water compared to conventional dirt gardening and has less issues with garden pest. After deciding and building the system that meets your needs, we finish with a medium walnut stain Danish oil. We find that each barrel takes the stain and oil in its own way along with their markings being slightly different hence no two barrels will be the same.
- Raise up to 6 pounds of fish at a time either for food or use ornamental species like goldfish or tropical fish(with the heater installed) in the 59 gallon re-purposed wine barrel with a viewing window.
- ~3 square feet of hydroton clay pebbles (included) media grow bed, great for growing organic fruits and vegetables without the use of any pesticides which could injure or kill the fish. This grow bed is also your bilogical filter and part of your mechanical filtration process.
- The grow bed features a continuous flow or autosyphon system.
HANDCRAFTED: It is handcrafted by us with love and quality in mind here in California, USA. This was a display model in our showroom.
Basic Vertical System Features:
- 60-70 gallons of water
- Grow your own organic fruits, vegetables and/or herbs(no pesticides)
- Raise edible fish without antibiotics or heavy metals
- Viewing window in a real re-purposed 59 gallon wine barrel
- Expandable to add micro-greens or towers
- ~3 square feet of grow space
- half barrel clay pebble grow bed
- Uses as little as 10% of the water required with traditional gardening
- Passive aeration system
- 300 watt aquarium heater
- Interior LED pond lights
- System uses 1 primary submersible pump
- Oak or redwood exterior
INCLUDED: Our standard size is a 59 gallon aquaponics system. It includes:
- basic water quality test kit
- 4 packets of seeds
- fish net
- freeze-dried bacteria starter
- 1 year limited free tech support
NOT INCLUDED: Fish, fish food, hydroponic grow lights, plants
We will work with you to customize your system to better fit your needs if desired.
CUSTOMIZE: We will work with you to customize your system to better fit your needs if desired. Please call or email us to further customize your system.
Please note that although the same care and quality is put into all of our products, there will be natural variation due to the wood selection (either French or American white oak), wood figure, winery or cooperage markings, wine stains from the inside of the barrel, and other factors. No two pieces will be identical and each has its own story to tell!
- Overall footprint required is 27” x 31.5"
At Evans Family Barrels, we custom hand craft every product to order. Please allow us ample time to make a good quality product. Call or email us to discuss your needs prior to purchasing.
Handcrafted by us in California, USA!