Basic 'Fish in a Barrel' Aquaponics Systems
Now you too can eat healthy and lower food bills. Our ‘Fish in a Barrel’ Aquaponic Systems are designed to grow safe pesticide free food and be a pleasure to look at and show off to all your friends and neighbors. When the fish are big enough, you can get your fishing rod and catch a fish from your barrel. Eat the fish you’ve grown. And best yet, the system's expandable.
RE-PURPOSED: The fish tank barrel is made from an oak wine barrel complete with its hoop, rack and wine stains. It’s a nice career change for the barrel and adds a special touch for those who are sensitive to ecology and recycling.
UNIQUE: The oak wine barrel makes a beautiful fish tank. Grow beds and towers can be added. The whole system is rustic by design. This system can use as little as 10% of the water compared to conventional dirt gardening and has less issues with garden pest. After deciding and building the system size that meets your needs, we finish with a medium walnut stain Danish oil. We find that each barrel takes the stain and oil in its own way along with their markings being slightly different hence no two barrels will be the same.
- Raise 12 pounds of fish at a time either for food or use ornamental species like goldfish in the 59 gallon re-purposed wine barrel with a viewing window. Other small fish can also be raised in the raft (lettuce) grow bed.
- 6 square feet of hydroton clay pebbles (included) media grow bed, great for growing organic fruits and vegetables without the use of any pesticides which could injure or kill the fish. This grow bed is also your bilogical filter and part of your mechanical filtration process. Both grow beds have a cedar exterior to help repel insects.
- 6 square feet of lettuce raft grow bed approximately 1 foot deep, spaces for 20 plants. The raft also works great as a seed starter for the media grow bed.
HAND CRAFTED: It is hand crafted by us with love and quality in mind here in California, USA. Every product is custom made to order. Please allow us up to 4-5 weeks after payment to create your system.
Basic System Features:
- 120 gallons of water
- Grow your own organic fruits and vegetables
- Raise edible fish without antibiotics or heavy metals
- Viewing window in a real re-purposed 59 gallon wine barrel
- Expandable so you can start small and expand or jump in with both feet and start large
- 12 square feet of grow space
- 6 square feet clay pebble grow bed
- 6 square feet floating lettuce raft (20 plants)
- Uses as little as 10% of the water required with traditional gardening
- System uses 2 small submersible pumps
- Interior LED pond lights
- Oak exterior
- Battery backup
INCLUDED: Our basic 120 gallon aquaponics system. It includes:
- basic water quality test kit
- 4 packets of seeds
- fish net
- basic startup chemicals
- freeze-dried bacteria starter
- 1 year limited free tech support
NOT INCLUDED: Fish, fish food, hydroponic grow lights, plants
We have options for expanding the system with extra grow beds and/or barrel tanks as well as a larger puncheon barrel option if you require more production to help feed you and your family. We will also work with you to customize your system to better fit your needs if desired. Please ask us about pricing on expansions and our customizing options if this is of interest to you
CUSTOMIZE: Please call or email us to further customize your system.
All of our wine barrels are made from French or American oak repurposed from the wineries. Each barrel will be unique in coloring, condition and size due to variations in production of wine barrels and wine. No two are alike. Even when we stain/oil them, no two staves turn out identical. These have been lightly sanded leaving the barrel marks and wine stains, which make them so special. Whenever we work on these barrels, we can’t help thinking that every barrel has a story to tell!
- Overall footprint required is 8 feet by 4 feet
We craft every product by hand to order. Please allow us ample time to make a good quality product. Call or email us to discuss your needs prior to purchasing.
This product ships via Freight. Depending on system size, it may ship in multiple boxes or pallets. Call for freight quote prior to placing an order.
Handcrafted by us in California, USA!